OLDSmobility.com Project Car

My own '67 442 (clone)

Re: OLDSmobility.com Project Car

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:44 am

Sun Jul 18, 2010

Finally got to spend some time today getting the bottom side of the body cleaned up. Today was the first day in several weeks that it wasn't either pouring rain or 90-95 degrees. I started at the tail end, working my way forward, and made it nearly halfway before having to quit to take care of other afternoon obligations.

Image Image

What you see there was just what I was able to get to with my 4.5" angle grinder and wire wheel. After I'm done roughing the cleanup process in with the grinder, I'll have to go back with the drill and small wire cone to hit the nooks and crannies that the grinder couldn't reach.
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:45 am

Wed Jul 28, 2010

Got a little more floorpan cleaning done a couple days ago, and it's now about 90% done. Another afternoon's worth of work and it'll be ready to paint.

I finally received the (correct) lugnuts today, so I got the wheels and tires mounted up...and so it's now resting on it's own feet for the first time in about 14 years!

Image Image Image

I then got started mocking up the exhaust system. I discovered that the mufflers are going to be sitting way too close to the new rear crossmember braces for comfort:

Image Image Image

I'm going to have to flip the mounting bolts around so that the bolt head is pointing to the inside, plus shorten the end of the brace a little on each side, like this:

I'm really hoping to finish up getting the bottom of the body cleaned up and painted within the next week or so. I have to schedule a day where I can be at it all day long, so I can get it done in one shot. Then I'll be ready to replace the body onto the chassis.
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:46 am

Sun Aug 29, 2010

Well, it's been a month since I posted any updates, mainly due to the freakin' heat! For the past three weeks the temperatures outside have been in the upper 90's with 75%-80% humidity, and it was just too darned hot and humid to work out in the driveway. However, the past week the temps dropped considerably, down to the upper 70s to mid 80s, so I was able to get back to work.

The top priority was getting the bottom of the car's floorpans painted so that I could get the body dropped back onto the chassis. When I removed the body back in 1999 I broke off three of the body mounting bolts...the two directly behind the axle and one under the driver's seat...so I needed to correct those. I tried drilling them out but the cage nuts broke loose on the two rear bolts, so I ended up drilling a pilot hole all the way up through the bolts and through the floorpans, and then using a die grinder was able to open up a hole large enough to remove the broken-off cages. I'll just put a nut on the top side of these bolts and then use a grommet or body plug to seal the holes. For the front bolt I'll still use the existing nut, but will have to add an additional nut on top:

Image Image

In the second picture there, you can see how I wasn't completely centered with the drill bit, which messed up the nut threads a little. The bolt will still thread in, but I wouldn't want to trust it as-is, so I'll definitely thread a nut down on top for added security. Once the grommet is installed, it'll be hid by the carpeting.

Yesterday I finished up with some last-minute clean-up on the pans, and then hit them with some MetalReady to etch the steel and give it the phosphate coating that will give the POR-15 a good bite. Here's a final picture taken last night of the pans ready to paint:

I wanted to put on two coats of POR-15 and then a topcoat. Typically the POR-15 takes 3-4 hours to set up enough to apply an additional coat, so I gave myself all day to get this done. However the temps were in the upper 80s today with a strong breeze, so drying time was significantly reduced. I started at the front and worked my way back, and found that by the time I was done with the first coat (2 hours work time), the front was already dry enough for the second coat. So...quick smoke break, and then back up under the car to apply coat #2. By the time I'd finished the second coat, the front was again dry enough for the final topcoat, which was my standard recipe of Krylon semi-flat rattlecans. I went ahead and did two topcoat layers just for added insurance. From start to finish this job only took me about four hours. Since this car will be a regular driver with an occasional trip down the strip, I wasn't seeking show-car quality, but I'm still very pleased with how well it looks. I think it turned out great!

Image Image Image

The body is now ready to go back onto the chassis! This will tentatively be happening this coming Friday or Saturday, depending on my work schedule. (This will make the wife very happy, since she's tired of having to walk around the car to get into the house!) Once it's properly mounted, I'll be getting started on the interior cabin and trunk floorpans, which will get the same paint treatment as the exterior pans.
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:47 am

Fri Sep 03, 2010

Got the body dropped back onto the chassis today! Image

Just lots of the same when removing the body. Jack it up a little, remove the bars, then let the jack almost all the way down and block the body. Then jack it back up a little remove some blocks, let it back down. It actually went pretty fast, and I had no problems.

Image Image Image

The body is now resting on the frame, without the bushings. Due to the extreme angles at which the body was coming down, I wasn't able to insert the bushings, so I just made sure I had plenty of padding to protect the frame and the floorpans, and set it directly on the frame for now. By the end of this extended Labor Day weekend,though, I'll have it centered and bolted down.

Image Image

It's actually starting to look like a car again!
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:47 am

Sun Sep 05, 2010

Got started removing the dash last night, and basically finished up the disassembly of the front half of the interior by removing the wiring harness, heater box and all A/C components from the firewall. I'll be deleting the A/C completely and just going with just a standard heater setup. I've got the heater-only dash controls ready to go.

Image Image Image Image

Here's a few shots of the A/C components after removal. Back years ago when I did my first quick 'refurbishing' I never removed the heater-A/C box to clean it, even though I knew it had been a home to field mice for roughly 13 years. Man, I'm glad I never had the need to fire up the heater...I'd have been in for a nasty mess blowing out the vents! :shock:

Image Image Image
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:49 am

Sun Sep 05, 2010

Pretty much finished gutting the interior this evening. A few more minutes worth of work and I'll be ready to start getting this cleaned up and prepped to paint. Here are a few shots taken after hitting it with the ShopVac:

Image Image Image

I was pretty disappointed to discover that my instrument panel is garbage. I knew it had a few small cracks in it, but when I pulled it out and removed the pad, the plastic portion of the dash started falling apart. So I guess I'll be looking for a new one, this one's too far gone to save. Image
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:49 am

Fri Sep 17, 2010

Spent the past few days (a few minutes here and there) getting the trunk cleaned up and ready to paint. Got started on the painting this afternoon. Got both sides (inside quarter-panels and wheelwells) done with two coats of POR-15 and two coats of rattlecan semi-flat. (Had to do just the sides so I'd have a place to lay down!) I'll be finishing the trunk floorpan up tomorrow (except for the correct splatter paint which I'll take care of sometime in the near future to get the OEM look), and then hopefully will be getting started getting the interior floorpans prepped for paint.

Image Image Image

Received a non-A/C heater box today (from '66-442' at ROP), now I just need to locate the correct kickpanel air vents and controls.
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:50 am

Mon Sep 20, 2010

Finally got the rest of the trunk painted. Was planning on doing it over the weekend, but it was actually too cold outside to paint. Now I'll be attacking the interior floorpans and giving them the same treatment.

Image Image Image
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:51 am

Mon Sep 27, 2010

Took the afternoon off work, fired up the angle grinder and wire wheel and went to town....and got the interior floorpans and firewall about 95% ready for paint. I'm just feeling very fortunate that I don't have the rust to contend with that I've had on other similar projects.

Image Image

I got the firewall A/C delete covers ordered today, they should be in about the time these floorpans get painted, so I'll be attacking the outer firewall next.
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

Postby OLDSmobility » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:52 am

Fri Oct 01, 2010

Took the day off from work today specifically to get the interior floorpans painted. Did my usual recipe of one coat of POR-15, followed by several coats of Krylon semi-flat black. It didn't turn out too bad.

Image Image

Things should start progressing rather rapidly now, since I can now start reassembling the interior. Over the past 3 days I've been ordering a ton of parts, mostly new interior pieces. From Legendary I'm getting front and rear seat covers, front and rear door panels, headliner and rear armrest covers. From various other vendors I'm getting a firewall pad, ACC carpet and sound deadener, front armrest bases and pads, refurbished dash, reproduction dashpad, new console inlays, an Autometer in-dash tach and a B&M Megashifter (which I'm going to incorporate into the '67 GTO console). Oh, and a couple cans of trunk splatter paint. I also got a bunch of parts for the 455 ordered, including a new 7-qt. Moroso oil pan, new lifters, stainless header reducers, ARP main and head bolts, and a Milodon windage tray with studs.

All this stuff should start arriving next week, and once it's all here, I'm probably going to take a couple vacation days and have a marathon interior reassembly session....and then finally get the 455 out of storage for a teardown. It's only got 150 miles on it since it's last rebuild, but it's been sitting for a few years, so it's getting new rings and bearings. I just heard from Rocket Racing, my cylinder heads are almost done...apparently they're just waiting on the correct valve springs. :D
OLDSmobility

Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Project Updates