67 cutlass power steering

67 cutlass power steering

Postby dave84 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi to all, new to forum. Recently bought a 67 cutlass f-85, no option car. My plan is to create a street machine. I am going to install power steering, but am unsure where to put the pump. Does it attach to the engine, or can I bolt it to the body and connect the wires? Does it replace the manual steering box onb the engine, same bolt holes? Final question, is the any blueprints or labeled 3D layouts of a 67 cutlass enginee compartment? ;)
dave84

Re: 67 cutlass power steering

Postby JoeWeed » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:19 pm

good afternoon,
i'm pretty new to this site too and just happened across your post.. i'm no expert but i have a 66 and a 67 convertible cutlass/supreme and have done a lot of my own stuff to my car.. now both of mine had power steering to begin with so i haven't been thru that kind of a conversion however i can describe to the best of my knowledge how the power steering system is setup..
there is a power steering pump and reservoir on the front passenger side area of the engine compartment that is attached to a bracket and has a belt going to it (this makes it pump).. then there are 2 hoses - one is a return hose and one is a pressure hose that runs the fluid from the reservoir to the power steering gear box.. the gearbox is mounted down below the pump/reservoir and at the front end of the steering column,, i believe it's partially mounted to the frame down there to hold it in place.. hope this helps..
JoeWeed

Re: 67 cutlass power steering

Postby DomingoPar » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Helped me a lot, Joe. Thanks a lot for sharing the info.
DomingoPar

Return to Suspension / Steering / Brakes